INVITATION: OPENING THE SPACE FOR MEDIA
PUBLIC DEBATE, 19 MAY 2015 FROM 10-14
Organised by International Media Support and Norsk PEN
As global tension continues to evolve between those who are committed to international rules and arrangements and those who reject them, so does the space for independent, critical voices and the exercise of fundamental rights. In many countries peaceful protests are being suppressed, and censorship and political control of the media are widespread. In the backward drift of freedom of expression in these environments, independent media and the ability of media to act as a fourth estate has been amongst the very first casualties. But there are also pockets of encouraging development; areas where democratic progress and societies based on the rule of law are gradually evolving; countries where the transition out of tumultuous, violent periods moves towards stability, citizen participation and an increasingly open space for the media and freedom of expression.
|10-12: PANEL I: UKRAINE AND RUSSIA
What can we learn from how media and information is used by both Russia and Ukraine in the ongoing conflict? How may we put this knowledge to use as we seek to reverse the negative trends and support those who attempt to keep the space open?
Moderator: Biljana Tatomir, Deputy Director, International Media Support (IMS)
· Maxim Tucker, Ukraine correspondent, The Times, Newsweek
· Galina Timchenko, Editor-in-Chief, Meduza
· Per Anders Johansen, Aftenposten
· Antonina Cherevko, Ukraine Programme Manager, International Media Support
|12-14: PANEL II: MYANMAR, COLOMBIA, SRI LANKA
What can we learn from countries transitioning out of violent conflict and periods of tumultuous political instability on how reforms of media and conditions for freedom of expression and access to information take place?
Moderator: Jesper Højberg, Executive Director, International Media Support (IMS)
· Ranga Kalansooriya, Asia Regional Advisor, International Media Support
· Esben Harboe, Myanmar Programme Manager, International Media Support
· Roy Krövel, Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied Sciences
· Andrew Puddephat, Executive Director, Global Partners Digital
RSVP: Monday 18 May to email@example.com